In January, Douglas Welch, a Principal and Managing Director at Eos Lightmedia, earned the Certified Lighting Designer certification (CLD). The prestigious CLD is the first evidence-based certification in architechtural lighting design in the world.
The CLD recognizes successful candidates for their excellence in seven areas of competency that define ability as an architectural lighting designer:
- Goals and Outcomes: The creation of the lighting concept that satisfies the project requirements and the design intent so the solution performs as predicted.
- Collaboration: The interaction with other disciplines by serving as an integral member of the team so that lighting relates to its context and adds value to the project.
- Ingenuity: The contribution of ideas that demonstrate innovation, creativity, originality, imagination, or resourcefulness to foster the goals of the project.
- Synthesis: The integration of the technical and aesthetic elements of lighting with space and form.
- Science: The application of the principles of light to meet project relevant technical criteria.
- Stewardship: The response of lighting to known and potential environmental impacts.
- Human Experience: The design of lighting solutions that positively affect people.
With four decades of lighting design experience, Douglas Welch leads Eos Lightmedia, an award-winning lighting and media design firm with international experience in architecture, public spaces, building facades, themed attractions, museums, presentation centres, and public art installations. The Eos team is recognized for the successful implementation of creative lighting projects and offers services including the design, supply, installation, and programming of lighting, projection, and control systems.
Click here to view the CLD press release.