After nearly two years of construction, the City of Coquitlam is celebrating the completion of the Pinetree Way Enhancement project. Pinetree way, between Barnett Highway and Town Centre Boulevard, has been transformed into an attractive, welcoming gateway to the City Centre and the new Evergreen Extension SkyTrain station. The new corridor includes improvements to traffic flow and safety, along with an appealing, functional streetscape designed to encourage people to walk, cycle, use transit and gather in Coquitlam’s growing downtown area.
The improvements include:
- Multi-use pathway with partial weather protection
- Wide, attractive and comfortable sidewalks
- Pedestrian-activated signals
- Separation from traffic by landscaping, trees, etc.
- Rest areas, additional seating, public art and greenery
- Shorter pedestrian crossings using curb bulges
- More distinct crosswalks using colour and texture
- Improved lighting, including feature light columns
- Improved signage & way finding
- Attractive, safe bus stops
- Street parking in select locations
- Traffic safety and operational improvements
Eos Lightmedia was contracted by the City of Coquitlam to bring the project’s “Nature in the City” theme to life. Special lighting effects illuminate concrete sidewalks and two 15m tall columns, giving the illusion of a stream and branches of trees. Programmable lighting effects of moving colour will be utilized to create lightshows during holidays and special events.
To learn more about the Pinetree Way Enhancement click here.